Anyone can Crochet - Basics of Crochet

Anyone can Crochet:

Crochet:

            Crochet is basically a process of making works/things starting from ordinary dishcloth to a wide range of other clothing like sweaters and pullovers. We use a crochet hook and yarn or thread to make things following certain patterns. Crochet hooks are generally made of different materials like metals, steels, plastic, bamboos and they come in various sizes. The size of the hook is chosen based on the project we do and the kind of yarn we use.

            My interest in crochet started a long time back. When I was in school, I had a craft hour in which my craft teacher taught me the basics and we have to make a purse using crochet. I was really amused used the crochet hooks and yarns and the different kinds of stitches. Then I brushed up my skills and started again after my marriage. Then I did many projects for my kid like shoes, gloves, shawl and pullovers. With this interest in crochet, how is it not possible to have my blog without the label crochet. 😉




Basics of Crochet:

            I have started crochet in my YouTube channel as a playlist "Anyone can Crochet". The first video is about the basics in crochet. This post is also the same which gives you the basics of the crochet like choosing the yarn, holding the hook, making slip knot and chain stitches.

  • When choosing the yarn, we can use a normal yarn, crochet thread, fabric strips, twine and even wire.
  • The decision depends on the kind of project we are going to crochet.

  • Then moving to the hook, the correct size of the hook depends on the material we choose to crochet and the project we proceed.
  • For the absolute beginners, holding the hook would be hard to understand. Normally, there are two methods to hold the hooks while the experienced hold based on their experience.
  • One method is knife holding technique in which we hold the hook in such a way we hold a knife and crochet.

  • The other method is pen holding technique in which we hook the hook like we hold the pen and crochet.

  • I usually prefer the knife holding as the easy method for me. 
  • While holding the yarn, I hold it in my left hand. I wrap first in my little pinky finger and then wrap it again in the pointer finger. The yarn flows freely through the pointer and the flow is controlled through the pinky finger. 

Slip Knot:

  • The first thing we do for any kind of crochet project is making a slip knot.
  • Slip knot is nothing but a normal knot considering the free end and the long end.
  • Keeping the long end in front and free end at the back of the finger, bring the free end to the front and make a loop by wrapping the long yarn to the back.





  • Bring the back loop over the front loop. This makes the slip knot having one loop into which the hook is inserted.
  • The control over the loop would be in the long end which can adjusted.
  • This can also be done in another way.
  • Normal knot is done by making a small loop with the free end in front and bring the long yarn in to the loop.
  • This makes another loop which is the slip knot into which the hook can be inserted.
  • Similarly, the size of the loop can be controlled with the long yarn.
  • Insert the hook into the slip knot loop and adjust the size.

Chain Stitch:

  • Once the slip knot is done, next we can make the chain stitches.
  • Wrap the yarn around the head of the crochet hook.
  • Grab the yarn with the hook and pull it through the slip knot.



  • This is the first chain we have made.
  • When we continue to grab the yarn with the hook and pull it through the loop on the hook, the chain stitches are continuously made.
  • The number of chain stitches to be made depends on the type of projects we do.
                 I hope you have learnt the basics of the crochet like yarn selection, holding the hook and the yarn, making slip knot and chain stitches. More posts regarding the basics and advanced level of the crochet are on the way. Keep following the blog and try them all and let me know in the comments.

I wish you all "Happy Creating"!!! 😊 

http://www.youtube.com/c/Ramyscreations

More Videos: YouTube






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it with Beads - Miniature Duck